Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is talcum powder ok to use on my 8 month old daughter?

I have an 8 month old daughter who is starting to get a bit of nappy rash from teething. I want to try and keep the area dry but im scared the powder will be bad for her lungs so i dont know what else to do. Any suggestions would be great!!!Is talcum powder ok to use on my 8 month old daughter?
Use rash cream, I like Aveeno...lather it on her little booty and keep her diaper off of her so she can air out a bit!!!Is talcum powder ok to use on my 8 month old daughter?
A mid wife told me once talc can or is be linked to cervical cancer in girls. I stay away from it just in case. But try using vaseline or sudocrem and letting her little bottom for a little while.
talcum powder has been linked with ovarian cancer and lung cancer, it isn't safe.





If you feel you need to use a powder use corn starch powder, or if you cant find any use corn flour from the pantry.





to help with the nappy rash try giving her some nappy free time, lay her on a towel or lay a few on the floor so she can roll around and let her go for it with out a nappy on, the air wil do wonders for her rash. also try some paw paw cream it is fabulous for almost everything.





Teething can be nasty, just change her frequently and allow her nappy area to get fresh air for about an hour a day, you'll really notice the difference.





Hope this heps.
Never use powder. It can make the rash worse, or cause a yeast infection. It also can lead to respiratory distress, as you've mentioned. I wouldn't put anything on the rash except for water, and dry it well. Chemical creams aren't going to help the problem as teething rashes will come and go. Changing the diaper more often or letting her bum out in the open air will help. Rash cream may or may not help; it never helped us. I highly recommend cloth diapers if you have persistent rash problems (related to teething or otherwise). My favorite brand is Swaddlebees and I highly recommend them - they also have an outlet store on their website if you would be interested in trying their diapers. Please do check out Kelly's Closet below for heaps of info on rashes, cloth diaper benefits, and more. One of my favorite websites!
corn starch

No comments:

Post a Comment